[XeTeX] "typeset by bidi" message
Kamal Abdali
2018-01-26 02:10:18 UTC
My xelatex-processed document has this message on the title page of the
document: *"Typeset by the bidi package."*
*​* ​
I understand that bidi is being called by polyglossia which I am using.

I hadn't
​seen ​
such a message before. Is there a way to avoid
​getting ​
this message?

Kamal Abdali
Bruno Le Floch
2018-01-26 02:50:33 UTC
Hello Kamal,
Post by Kamal Abdali
My xelatex-processed document has this message on the title page of the
document: *"Typeset by the bidi package."*
*​* ​
I understand that bidi is being called by polyglossia which I am using.
I hadn't
​seen ​
such a message before. Is there a way to avoid
​getting ​
this message?
Kamal Abdali
After loading the polyglossia package (but before selecting a language
that reads right-to-left) try adding

\usepackage[logo=off]{bidi}

Strangely the default is logo=on and the option is not documented.

Bruno

Kamal Abdali
Thank you, Bruno, for your prompt message. You have solved my problem!
Gildas Hamel
2018-01-26 03:39:42 UTC
* Skriv a reas Kamal Abdali <***@acm.org> n'eus ket pell (Thu Jan 25, 2018):
|> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 9:50 PM, Bruno Le Floch <***@gmail.com> wrote:
|>
|> > After loading the polyglossia package (but before selecting a language
|> > that reads right-to-left) try adding
|> >
|> > \usepackage[logo=off]{bidi}

You may also choose to turn off pdfinfo which is turned on by default. If left on, it shows up in the pdf's attributes as:
Content Creator: The bidi package, v32.4, 2018/01/23
PDF Producer: The bidi package, etc.
--Gildas Hamel

Gildas Hamel
2018-01-26 04:16:54 UTC
* Skriv a reas Gildas Hamel <***@ucsc.edu> n'eus ket pell (Thu Jan 25, 2018):

|> You may also choose to turn off pdfinfo which is turned on by default. If left on, it shows up in the pdf's attributes as:
|> Content Creator: The bidi package, v32.4, 2018/01/23
|> PDF Producer: The bidi package, etc.
|> --Gildas Hamel

I forgot to add that the way I try to recognize the amazing work done over so many years by the undefatigable creator and maintainer of the bidi package, Vafa Khalighi, is to mention it in the preamble, via the hypersetup of the hyperref package:

\hypersetup{
pdfkeywords={key1, key2},%
pdfcreator={XeLaTeX and the bidi package}
}
I do not know if this is sufficient. If there is a better way of recognizing the role of the bidi package, please let me know.
--Gildas

Kamal Abdali
2018-01-26 04:29:07 UTC
Thanks, Gildas, for your suggestions. I'll try turning off pdfinfo() but I
need to first learn how to do it without the hyperref package which I'm not
using at this time.

I'm also an admirer of Vafa Kalighi's contribution which I use all the time.

Bruno Le Floch
2018-01-26 04:41:18 UTC
\usepackage[logo=off,pdfinfo=off]{bidi}

Kamal Abdali
2018-01-26 14:44:18 UTC
Thanks again, Bruno, for your concise, precise, and effective answer!

David Carlisle
2018-01-26 07:47:50 UTC
Getting the timing right with passing this option to bidi via polyglossia
is a bit tricky see

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/411907/suppress-bidis-logo-when-using-polyglossia

the bidi author gives some justification for this here

https://github.com/tex-xet/bidi/issues/60

but to be honest I think that this is a really bad default, and polyglossia
probably should disable this while loading bidi rather than rely on the
user to find an undocumented option in an internally loaded package.

David
2018-01-26 14:42:14 UTC
Post by David Carlisle
the bidi author gives some justification for this here
https://github.com/tex-xet/bidi/issues/60
tlmgr remove bidi --force
--
Matthew Skala
***@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca People before principles.

Peter Wilson
2018-01-27 20:32:57 UTC
I think that the "Typeset by the bidi package" message is much too
modest. It should read something along the lines "Typeset by the bidi
package developed by Vafa Khalighi for over 12 years without any funding
or donations." In fact I think that every class/package used in a
document should typeset similar wording about itself and its provenance
on the top of the first page of any (All)TeX document. Many classes and
packages have been developed over many more than 12 years, particularly
TeX and LaTeX.

Peter W.
Philip Taylor (RHUoL)
2018-01-28 00:10:26 UTC
Post by Peter Wilson
I think that the "Typeset by the bidi package" message is much too
modest. It should read something along the lines "Typeset by the bidi
package developed by Vafa Khalighi for over 12 years without any
funding or donations." In fact I think that every class/package used
in a document should typeset similar wording about itself and its
provenance on the top of the first page of any (All)TeX document. Many
classes and packages have been developed over many more than 12 years,
particularly TeX and LaTeX.
As \usepackage is under the control of the LaTeX team, could its
behaviour not be amended to check if #1 = "bidi", and if so, interpolate
"[logo=off] unless "[logo=on]" is already present ?
Philip Taylor
--------

\usepackage[logo=off]{bidi}
m***@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
2018-01-28 01:25:41 UTC
As \usepackage is under the control of the LaTeX team, could its behaviour
not be amended to check if #1 = "bidi", and if so, interpolate "[logo=off]
unless "[logo=on]" is already present ?
It could, but adding code to every invocation of \usepackage everywhere
just for this one case seems like it could lead to an escalating chain of
more and more complicated cases to deal with. What happens if other
packages also create logo "features" - will we include overrides for them
all, in the global \usepackage command that everybody uses in every
document? The precedent of doing it for one might make it seem necessary
to do it for every similar package. What if bidi's feature changes its
name in a new version, or becomes harder to disable - will \usepackage
have to track versions of bidi and do what it takes to disable the logo in
each version? The amount of code needed could quickly become significant.
I think there is a human issue here that will not be solved by a purely
technical fix.

David Carlisle
2018-01-28 01:31:04 UTC
Post by m***@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
I think there is a human issue here that will not be solved by a purely
technical fix.
Exactly. in this case, I asked that the package flip its default to off so
it only adds the text if requested and Vafa kindly agreed and has just sent
an updated package to ctan.

David
George N. White III
2018-01-29 15:16:45 UTC
I think that the "Typeset by the bidi package" message is much too modest.
It should read something along the lines "Typeset by the bidi package
developed by Vafa Khalighi for over 12 years without any funding or
donations." In fact I think that every class/package used in a document
should typeset similar wording about itself and its provenance on the top
of the first page of any (All)TeX document. Many classes and packages have
been developed over many more than 12 years, particularly TeX and LaTeX.
Peter W.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colophon
<https://www.google.ca/search?q=colophone&rlz=1C1EJFA_enCA773CA775&oq=colophone&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4297j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#>

1.
<https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:7fBpBzP-DnsJ:https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colophon+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca>
2.
<https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1EJFA_enCA773CA775&q=related:https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colophon+colophon&tbo=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi19J-k7frYAhVIXKwKHfCFDQ4QHwhdMAQ>

Dec 29, 2017 - Definition of *colophon*. 1 : an inscription at the end of a
book or manuscript usually with facts about its production.

I'd rather that more documents provide a useful colophone. "Typeset by the
bidi package ..." logically
belongs in the colophone.

It would be useful to have a supported, standard method for packages to
add/suggest entries to the colophon.
It would also be useful to have "Supported by: " entries in catalogs (for
bidi: "Supported by: author").

That this is primarily a human issue has been pointed out -- many people
contribute to TeX/LaTeX for small
rewards, often on their own resources and sometimes against their bosses'
ideas of how time should be spent
("MS Word is good enough").

It would be nice to see a system of small awards given to individuals who
have made significant contributions
(as determined by a small panel of judges based on open nominations). The
publicity for TeX and friends
might persuade some bosses that time spent on TeX-related work has value.

[...]
--
George N. White III